Dominic Breazeale has made it clear he is “definitely open to negotiations” and would welcome a fight against Dillian Whyte after the British heavyweight turned down an initial “lowball” offer from current unified champion Anthony Joshua.
Talks between the American and Brit were first held last year, but the heavyweight pair were unable to agree terms, meanwhile the Californian went on to beat Carlos Negron in December, while the “Bodysnatcher” took out Derek Chisora in explosive fashion in a rematch which both took place on the same evening.
Whyte flew out to attend the Manny Pacquiao-Adrien Broner fight in Las Vegas over the weekend after turning down an unsatisfactory opening offer for a Wembley date with Joshua on April 13, and Breazeale has welcomed fresh negotiations about a winner takes all clash between the two highly-ranked WBC challengers.
Breazeale speaking on matters has been quoted as saying “I hope he does make some type of deal with the PBC, if not some type of a deal with the personnel that’s around for me and him making a fight,”
“People have talked about it for a while. I am a fan-pleasing type of guy, so if that’s what the fans want to see, I’m all for it.
“At the same time, I’m not going to pass up opportunities to fight for the WBC title, to go down there to fight Dillian Whyte. I hope he does make some type of a deal. He can come here to the United States and he can get all he wants of Dominic Breazeale.”
Breazeale has been mandatory challenger to WBC champion Deontay Wilder since defeating Eric Molina in 2017, the “Bronze Bomber” has now been ordered by the WBC to take the rematch against Tyson Fury after their first meeting ended in a draw, while Whyte remains the WBC’s number one ranked challenger.
The 33-year-old nicknamed “Trouble” is hoping to be back in the ring for April, with Whyte as a possible opponent over in the States, which would be a return to America for the 30-year-old South Londoner since beating Malcolm Tann in Nebraska back in 2017.
“I would definitely be open to negotiations,” said Breazeale. “I know we started the early part of last year with negotiations and I have no problem picking back up again and getting back under way.”
Referring to a US fight, Breazeale went onto say: “That would be great. That would be right in line. He would be on schedule for everything. All we’ve got to do is pick a venue, and pick a date, and let’s get it rocking and rolling.”
Whyte has welcomed the challenge from Breazeale with open arms, suggesting he should find it ‘easy’ to finalise terms against the former Olympian.
Whyte has been quoted as saying “I definitely want to fight Breazeale,”
“It doesn’t need to be PBC, it can be Matchroom and Sky Sports. If he wants to fight, we can fight. It’s an easy fight to make, let’s make it. Let’s do it, end of April, or early May.
“I will fight him in America, but what can he offer me to come to America? I’ll offer him more to come to the UK.”
If a battle between two of the WBC’s top ranked fighters should go ahead, Breazeale believes a belt such as the WBC interim title should be on the line for both men.
“I think it would be a realistic type of a situation, him being the WBC ‘silver’ heavyweight champ, and me being the WBC mandatory,” he said.
“I think he should gamble and I should gamble, we should throw it all on the line and let the best man win.”
Asked about the possible chance of a WBC interim belt, Whyte went on say : “Perfect. That works for me, that’s fine, but I don’t need a belt to fight Dominic Breazeale. If he wants it, he can get it.”
By Kenny Leavett.