By Kenny Leavett – Luke Campbell is still patiently waiting to hear back from the WBC to determine if his next upcoming fight against Frenchman Yvan Mendy will have the belt on the line when the pair meet at Wembley, but the Yorkshireman is also willing to take a rematch with Jorge Linares for the title.
The 30-year-old lightweight faces Mendy in a WBC final eliminator on the Joshua Povetkin undercard on September 22, but current WBC champion Mikey Garcia is looking to vacate his belt in order to secure his dream fight with IBF welterweight title-holder Errol Spence Jr at 147 lbs.
Campbell is waiting for Garcia’s next move and there is also the potential of a fight on the horizon for the vacant title against Linares, the 33-year-old Venezuelan who sits just below the Hull man in the WBC rankings.
Speaking on a possible second fight with Linares, Campbell has been quoted as saying “That would be awesome,” I would love that, I want that rematch with Linares.
“You never know, if Mikey Garcia vacates early enough, this fight could be made for the full title, which would be amazing”
“I’m obviously not putting all my chips on that, but if there’s a possibility. We’ve just got to see what Mikey Garcia does.”
“If not, for me to fight Linares for the title, that’s a massive fight.”
Pound for Pound king Vasyl Lomachenko “Hi-Tech” has his hands on the divisions WBA belt after his 10th round stoppage over Linares in May, and Campbell was dubbed earlier this year as a future opponent for the Ukrainian star.
“I’m not ruling that out. Lomachenko is an amazing fighter,” he said. “Such a talent and he’s ranked up in the pound-for-pound list in the top three.
“Again, I want to fight these guys. I’m not threatened by any of these, I want to get in there and show them who I am, and what I can do. I want to be in with the best.”
But first the former 2012 gold medallist must fix a 2015 points defeat to Yvan Mendy when he takes on the Frenchman again at the national stadium.
“I’m very eager to get out there and put a good show on,” he said.
“For me it’s about coming back, not only winning, but winning in style, and looking great. Showing people that I’m the man at lightweight.
“It’s quite frustrating because I could be sat here right now, WBA world champion, beating a three-weight world champion. I’m not, and I was so close to it.
“A lot of people, myself including, thought that I did enough, but it wasn’t meant to be. I keep my head down, I keep working hard, making sacrifices every day. I love what I do, and I want to be the best.”
Watch Luke Campbell Vs Yvan Mendy at Wembley Stadium, on September 22, live on Sky Sports Box Office.