Cuba asserted themselves once again as a dominant force in amateur boxing with a medal haul of five Gold Medals which started with Light Flyweight Joahnys Argilagos and ended with Erislandy Savon the nephew of the legendary Felix taking top honours at heavyweight.
In between the Small Latin American country also found themselves perched on the top platform with Yosbany Veitia, Andy Cruz, Julio Cesar La Cruz all taking the spoils of war whilst Lazaro Alvarez and Roniel Iglesias narrowly missed out, earning themselves silver medals to crown them the team of the games.
BEST BOXER OF THE TOURNAMENT
You could also be forgiven for thinking that the fighter of the tournament would also wear the red and blue of Cuba but you would be wrong. The prestigious honour instead fell to Ukraine’s Oleksandr Khyzhniak who marvelled on his way to a gold medal in the Middleweight class.
Deservedly Khyzhniak captured the trophy with a faultless display on route to a decision victory over Kazakhstan newcomer Abilkhan Amankul.
- Light Flyweight – J Argilagos (Cub) Def H Dusmatov (Uzb)
- Flyweight – Y Veitia (Cub) Def J Latipov (Uzb)
- Bantamweight – K Yerakiyev (Kaz) Def D Ragan (USA)
- Lightweight – S Oumiha (Fra) Def L Alvarez Estrada (Cub)
- Light Welter – A Cruz (Cub) Def I Kholdarov (Uzb)
- Welter – S Giyasov (Uzb) Def R Iglesias (Cub)
- Middleweight – O Khyznhiak (Ukr) Def A Amankul (Kaz)
- Light Heavy – J Cesar La Cruz (Cub) Def J Ward (Ire)
- Heavy – E Savon (Cub) Def E Tishchenko (Rus)
- Super Heavy – M Majidov (Aze) Def K Kunkabayev (Ubk
Photos Courtesy of AIBA